Thursday, May 3, 2012

Weight Stereotyping

I read this interesting article from Glamour about Weight Stereotyping... and I thought that it is really true. People are judging you based on your body. Like me for example, I gained weight for the last 4 months now and most people call me lazy, sloppy and slow. Most people remind me of my weight for like a lot of times every single day..
I myself is a victim of this but I'll admit that I also am guilty. I also judge other people especially women. But since I am now a victim, I realized that this should not be done. As much as possible I avoid giving my impressions towards other people based on their physical appearance.
I've experienced being judged lately, just because I gained weight, I was even accused as pregnant because of the bulging tummy. Well, I just laugh about it. Cause I know they're all a bunch of lies. What's so wrong about gaining weight? As long I still love my body, I really don't care about what other people say, but it becomes so irritating if they keep on repeating that everytime they see you..It sounds so unfair, right?

It's now a trend, women are now judged by their size. When I gained weight, my so called friends are laughing behind my back about how much of an eater I am, as if I didnt know that they're doing that. It has been a sentiment of mine of a long time but lately I realized that what they're doing is wrong and I have to prove to them that they are wrong and I shouldn't be affected by their comments about my personality if none of them were true.
It was a struggle for me at first, I went on a diet immediately and went on exercise. My weight went down a bit and that gave me the determination to continue with my diet. It's not that the results were automatic, it also had it's own time, and people keep on saying that my diet didn't do anything, that I'm still fat and I'm still sloppy. I really don't care now. I won’t let my weight define me. I'm trying my best to continue my diet.
I wanted to challenge all the people that judge my personality based from my body, and that includes friends, and co-workers. I have this punchline that I got from the article: “I wonder why you’d make that assumption about me. You don’t even know me.”

To end this blog, I'll share the most amazing quote that I've read today:
“No woman of any size matches on the inside what she appears to be on the outside,”.

Here's the link to the Glamour article about Weight Stereotyping to know more about it:
http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/2012/05/weight-stereotyping-the-secret-way-people-are-judging-you-based-on-your-body-glamour-june-2012?mbid=social_plus

No comments:

Post a Comment